Gujarati tridoshic Beans
Serves 6 – 8
- 1 3/4 cups split green peas or whole green beans
- 6 1/2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil, coconut oil or ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon barley malt or brown rice syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lime or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder, mild or medium
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup red & green pepper, chopped (optional, omit for Pitta)
Preparation Method Soak green whole beans for 1 hour and then drain. (If using split peas, soak for 1/2 hour)
Heat oil or ghee in a large saucepan.
Add mustard seeds andfenugreek, and when they pop add turmeric, asafoetida, green beans, water and the rest of the ingredients.
Mix them well.
Cover and cook until beans become somewhat soft and preparation thickens.
For split green peas it may take 1/2–1 hour and for whole green beans 40-50 minutes.
Quick Tip This taste good with chapatis, buttermilk curry, rice and vegetables. Good all-purpose dhal from Gujarat region in India. The beans can be soaked overnight if convenient. For Kapha, this recipe should be garnished with peppers and dry ginger.
- Vata Decrease
- Pitta Decrease
- Kapha Decreases