Epsom salt is Magnesium Sulfate (MgSO4 + 7H2O) and is a vital part of a rehabilitation program. Researchers in nutrition have found that Magnesium Sulfate accelerates the body’s healing time by one-third. As an example, if an injury requires three weeks to heal under normal or standard conditions, it would only require two weeks to heal if Magnesium Sulfate is added as a bath salt, or soaking salt.
There are numerous benefits that can be gained from using Epsom salts, which is rich in both magnesium and sulfate.
Studies have shown that increased magnesium levels from soaking in an epsom salt bath can play a vital role in the overall health of a person.
Some of these benefits are:
– Improved heart and circulatory health
– Reducing blood clots and lowering blood pressure.
– Improved ability for the body to use insulin.
– Detoxifying the body
– Relieving stress.
– Reducing inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps.
– Improved oxygen use.
– Improved absorption of nutrients.
– Prevention or easing of migraine headaches.
– Soaking in Epsom salt helps you relieve from athlete’s foot.
These health benefits are listed in the web site of the Epsom Salt Industry Council, but have also been proven in many studies. People have been using these salts and receiving many benefits for centuries. While there may be different brands of Epsom salt, they are all the same product chemically, and can be found at most drug stores.
Some other ways and reasons to use Epsom Salt Baths/ Epsom Salt Soak
– Add two cups of Epsom salt to the water in a bath tub. Provides relaxation of your body and muscles, reduces swellings and eliminates toxins from the body.
– Rub the Epsom salt directly on the skin to make it smooth and silky. Then rinse thoroughly. Massaging oil (such as Brahmi oil, coconut oil, or sesame oil from Tattva’s Herbs) into the skin afterwards moisturizes and soaks into the skin to keep it silky.
– You can also mix a thick paste of Epsom salt with hot water and apply directly to an injury, or sore muscles and joints to get soothing comfort.
-Mix half-cup of Epsom salt in warm water and keep your feet for 10 minutes. This soothes achy feet, removes bad odor and softens the rough skin.
-Warm the mixture of equal amounts of conditioner and Epsom salt for 15 seconds. Apply this mixture through your hair from scalp to end; leave it for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water; you can observe the natural glow in your hair.
-To clean your face at night, mix a half-teaspoon of epsom salt with your regular cleansing cream. Just massage into skin and rinse with cold water.